In recent years, housing options for Virginians with developmental disabilities, ages 18+, has become more readily available.

There are several housing programs that are coordinated through the Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Services. These programs allow your loved one the option to find and select his or her own housing options with supports they need and are not limited to subsidized housing.

  • You are responsible for finding a “unit” where the landlord agrees to rent under the program.

  • The rental housing subsidy is paid to the landlord on your behalf and you are responsible for the difference between the actual rental rate and the subsidy.

  • Housing units must have a full kitchen and bathroom

  • Housing vouchers may NOT be used for group homes, boarding homes, assisted living facilities, a single room for rent or a rental unit shared by more than three individuals with a disability

  • Your loved one may receive supports and accommodations to live successfully in their own housing units such as live-in “aides”. (Parents, grandparents and guardians may not live with the individual).


Housing specialists from the VA Dept. of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services are available to support your loved one understand the housing process. 

How can my loved one begin the process to receive housing supports?

Referrals to the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) rental and housing support consideration must be made through your DD Case Manager/Support Coordinator.

Where can I get more information about the Housing Programs?

You can read all about Housing Choice Vouchers, State Rental Assistance Program, Flexible Funds and much more here.

The Arc of Northern Shenandoah Valley

PO Box 124

Middletown, VA 22645

P: 540.692.9650

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram

© 2023 by The Arc of Northern Shenandoah Valley.